Monday

life

Today I sat in the bookstore (you know how I do), picked out a book and sat down in an overlarged, out of place chair. To my right there was a woman looking at New York travel guides and a few Cosmos. She flipped through pages of beautiful women advertising expensive perfume and I realized we live in an exaggerated, and misrepresented world. Escape your reality, hun. It'll be here when you come back. I looked up, distracted by hearing James effin Blunt playing, and noticed a display of maps in front of me. Maps everywhere from mexico to london, from ireland to egypt. I couldnt help but feel like there was something more I could be doing. So many places to go. But what would satisfy me? Backpacking through Europe, just me and my acoustic guitar and few pairs of fresh boxer briefs? Could someone ever fully be satisfied with their life?

I looked around me. A man trying to read his own palm, two women discussing buddhism. Was this it? One of the ladies stood up and walked away, and as I heard the distant sound of her flat shoes flapping against her heel, I looked to the window, outside there was a man, a bum a homeless, if you will. He was sitting on a bench smoking a cigarette. Was he looking back at me? I couldnt tell, but intrigued, I kept looking. Whats his story? Maybe, when younger, he was a brilliant underachiever. Blew all his money and chances on booze and unrealistic dreams. He's not so different. That could very well be me, someday. A girl with a fashionably coordinated green outfit walked past him, blinding my sight of the man and I took the opportunity to look away.
I recognized a girl from my school, sitting by herself at a table with her laptop, sipping a chilled cappuccino. Incredibly adorable, smart girl wearing pink Chucks. She stared at her laptop screen intensely, her brow furrowed. She then giggled to herself. I wondered what's on that screen. She catches me looking at her and smiled shyly. I smiled back, a little embarrassed for staring, and I go back to reading.
Alittle while later, another man ( bum..must've been friends with the other one?) came and occupied the empty chair next to me. Picked up a car magazine and let out a genuinely narly fart. Not even kidding. (didnt think the story was about to end like that?) Well, hey. Life is crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this piece. Your writing is so easy to get lost in.......
Cheers!