Thursday

odyssey of destruction. part 1: reflection

She sat cross-legged on the pavement,
Surrounded by intoxicated mimes.

Her hair lay faint on her stubborn shoulders,

Frayed and pathetic.

Her eyes retreated;

the big brother of the mind.

I'm not sure if she smiled when she saw me.

Her muddied expression flickered in a confetti of innate wonder and distant familiarity,

She was like the tattered journal I hid for years under my mattress,

An epiphany that stabbed my mind

Until I bled dry.

She was cobblestones and cigarettes,

The Eiffel Tower and the Anna Livia,

She was Mona Lisa's smile and the shatterproof glass that encased it.

She left me exhausted and stimulated,

In desperate optimism.

Beautiful and free,

Grounded and high,

Once touched,

Once kissed,

Vainly regrettable,

Hopelessly missed.

~

*Edit

Bashed my knee on some corral and swallowed more sea water than is bodily acceptable when surfing at Point Loma this morning. Primary thought running through my head as I lay gasping for breath; bleeding and tattered on the beach : Nothing like getting the living hell beat ouf of you by nature to put things in perspective.

1 comment:

Samantha R. said...

Gosh I luv you!!